Family escapes from second-floor window of burning duplex

December 3, 2019 GMT

DERRY, N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire couple and their 2-year-old child have escaped from a second-floor window after a fire broke out in a duplex and trapped them.

Officials say the mother lowered the child to his grandmother outside from the second story of the Derry home early Monday morning and then jumped to safety. The boy’s father also lowered himself to safety.

The mother and child were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Battalion Chief Bill Gillis says occupants living in the basement were able to escape and yell up to the sleeping second-floor residents.

Authorities say the fire started on the first floor.

The family says their two dogs died in the fire, but their cat survived.