Related topics

VALLEY SANTA: Medical Expenses Set Family Back

November 14, 2018 GMT

Six-year-old Matthew was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two years ago and his mom Jessica said it’s an expensive 24-7 chronic illness.

Jessica, a single mother, also has three other sons ages 10, 5 and 2. She has a college degree but stays home to raise her children.

“Day care is overpriced and then you don’t get to see your children grow,” Jessica wrote in a letter to Valley Santa.

She said the expenses associated with her son’s illness are hard on her and her other sons.

“We do our best,” she wrote. “I need to watch my diabetic son because no one else will take on that responsibility.”

She said she would like her sons to receive something for Christmas other than the necessities. She asked for help from Valley Santa.

Valley Santa needs donations to purchase Christmas gifts for these boys and children in need throughout Luzerne County.

“We sincerely appreciate anything,” Jessica wrote. “Thanks for your time.”


Send a check or money order to The Valley Santa Fund Inc., P.O. Box 5276, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. Checks should be made payable to The Valley Santa Fund Inc. Visit valleysanta.org/Donate.htm to donate via PayPal. All donations are tax deductible. Monetary donations also will be accepted at any M&T Bank branch in the Wyoming Valley. Because Santa has no workshop or warehouse space, no new or used toys can be accepted. Donors names will be published in The Citizens’ Voice and Standard-Speaker.


Write a letter in care of Valley Santa, P.O. Box 5268, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. Explain the need that exists in as much detail as possible. You must include your name, ages and genders of your children, your full address, zip code and telephone number. The letter must be co-signed by a clergy member or social worker and must include their name, address and telephone number for confirmation purposes. Requests will be considered for children 12 years of age and younger. Requests must be postmarked by Dec. 15. No telephone requests will be accepted.


Call Help Line: 570-829-1341.