Sharon Mosley: Party ornaments: Dress up your outfits with holiday style
Dress up your tree. Dress up your mantel. Dress up your dress. ’Tis the season to decorate our homes and ourselves! The fastest way to add some extra glamour to your party wardrobe is with special accessories. Here are some of the best fashion “ornaments” of the season ... and some of the best gifts, too.
• Start with statement jewelry. The holidays are the time to go big and go bold, especially when it comes to jewelry. Large, sculpted art-deco-inspired necklaces are trending this year and will make any little black dress a hit on the party circuit. Shoulder-grazing crystal earrings are another way to add a festive touch to cocktail classics. And don’t forget brooches. A sparkling rhinestone pin from the ’50s uncovered at a flea market can easily dress up a denim jacket for a casual night out.
• Unclutch the clutch. Evening clutches have long been a glamour go-to for stashing necessary essentials, but let’s face it, they can often become a nuisance when it comes to balancing wine glasses and nibbles. This holiday season, try a convertible clutch with a long chain strap that you can wear cross-body style to free up your hands. The glittery silver and gold metallics are pulling at the holiday purse strings this year.
• Fur faux sure. The faux fur is flying high for party time. In fluffy mufflers, colorful snoods and embellished capelets, there’s a way to instantly top off anything you wear with a shot of vintage Hollywood luxury. Pink is the furry color pick of the winter, and leopard print is another favorite. Faux fur cuffs are another way to easily update an old sweater or blouse. (These make great gifts, too!)
• Get a leg up. Fashion tights are exploding on the runways, and they are making an entrance just in time for holiday soirees - perfect for pairing with festive shorts, skirts or dresses. Check out the new ornamental lace tights, shimmering metallic tights or fishnet tights. Brightly colored tights are making a comeback, too. And for chilly outings, opt for a pair of cozy sweater tights.
• Belt it. It may be tempting to just let it all hang out. But never forget the impact of cinching it all in. Whether it’s a fur vest, an oversized tunic top or a pair of menswear trousers, a belt - wide or skinny - can transform holiday outfits. Choose from preppy plaids, velvet bows or beaded jeweled styles. The satin belt wrapped obi-style is one of this season’s best ways to top off high-waisted trousers.
• Heads up. If you’ve waited all year to wear a crown, then why not now? With sleek updos and top knots making the headlines, jeweled headbands are a glittering must-have. Or try a retro headscarf wrapped around long tresses. Wide velvet headbands are also heading up the accessory trend charts for the holidays.
• Twinkle your toes. If you only buy one thing to dress up your holiday wardrobe, make it a pair of sparkly shoes. From rhinestone pointed-toe pumps to metallic platform sandals to jeweled mules to studded boots and brocade kitten heels, there’s more than one way to put the spotlight on your festive feet.
To find out more about Sharon Mosley and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website at www.creators.com.