First United Methodist Church to celebrate special anniversary with history walk
First United Methodist Church is celebrating the 180 years since Methodism established itself in Madison. As part of that special anniversary celebration, the church invites everyone to attend a walk journeying through their Madison history on Nov. 19.
Events on that Sunday will begin at the 9 a.m. service lead by Bishop Hee-Soo Jung. After that service Bishop Jung will lead the “Bishop’s Walk” around the Downtown area highlighting special liturgical locations.
The walk will include special places where the Methodists worshiped in their early days in Madison.
According to organizers: the first religious service was held in a rooming house on the corner of East Washington Ave. and North Pinckney St. in 1837. Around 1849 the early Madison Methodists built their first church building on the corner of North Pinckney St. and East Mifflin St. and then a large Gothic style church was built on the corner of Wisconsin Ave. and East Dayton St. in 1873.
Morning services held at 203 Wisconsin Ave. and the “Bishop’s Walk” are open to the public.
For more information call Bobbi Foutch-Reynolds at 920-478-2115 or the church office at 608-256-9061.