Restricted landing area airport put on market
SANDWICH – The Sandwich Airport, located along the south side of Route 34 between Sandwich and Somonauk, is for sale.
The airport was founded in April 1947 by veteran World War II pilot Roger Vincent, a Sandwich native, when he returned home from the war.
Vincent owned the airport for four short years and sold it to the airport’s aircraft mechanic, Frank Ament.
Ament owned and operated the airport until 1978, when he sold it to pilot and real estate developer George W. Pearce.
Pearce formed the Lincoln Development Corp. and built the asphalt runway at the airport, along with the Woodlake Landing subdivision that borders the airstrip, and all 20 or so airplane hangars that are part of the property.
Under Pearce, the airport thrived by providing crop-dusting services, airplane sales, plane reconstruction, sky-diving opportunities and flight training, not to mention a small restaurant.
In 1995, the airport’s status was changed from commercial status to a restricted landing area, making it a private enterprise, with take-offs and landings limited to private use only. Permission is required before landing there.
After Pearce’s death, his son, George F. Pearce, took over operations and ownership of the airport.
The airport is primarily used for single-engine planes. In addition to the asphalt runway, there also is a grass runway.