AP NEWS
Related topics

Stratford family loses home in fire; fundraisers launched

January 28, 2019 GMT

STRATFORD - A fundraising drive has been launched for a family that lost its home in a fire Sunday night.

The 102-year-old house on Yarwood Street was heavily damaged in the blaze.

Stephanie Philips, a neighbor, started a fundraising page for the family.

“My neighbor and family got out safely. They were on the main floor when they smelled smoke coming from the attic. They did all the right things to flee and call 911,” Philips posted on Facebook.

“They are a wonderful young family with kids. They are in tears, as they watched their first home in flames. They will need a little help until the insurance starts. Thank you to the Fire Department that work quickly to eliminate the flames and protect the neighboring property, and to the police that were there to protect all else.”

She said. “Jeanine Rudd grew up in Stratford, and she and her family finally were able to buy their first home, but Sunday it was destroyed by a fire that started in the attic walls. They were downstairs in the main floor, heard a sound and started smelling smoke. They did all the right things as they grab the kids and fled as quickly as possible and called 911. They are safe.

“However, they need help the cover the basic items until the insurance kicks in. $5, $10, etc can add up fast for food, gas, toiletries, and a change of clothes. There are four kids, ages 16-year-old girls, a 13-year-old boy, a 9-year-old girls and two-year-old. Please help us raise at least $1,000.”

To donate, click here

As of 9:30 a.m. Monday,

According to Stratford property records, the house has 1,009 square feet of living space. The three bedroom house has an assessed value of $99,750.