8 seek Kankakee school board seats
KANKAKEE — Seven candidates are vying for three four-year positions on the Kankakee school board, while one person is running unopposed for a two-year post.
Monday was the deadline for school board candidates to file their candidacies with the county clerk’s office.
Board president Barbara Wells and member Chris Bohlen are running for the four-year posts. They are being challenged by Deborah Johnston, Patricia Santoyo-Marin, Roy Bernard, Pedro Solis and Linn Williams.
The lone candidate for the two-year position is incumbent Angela Shea, who announced last month she was not running again for a four-year term.
“Many people reached out to me and asked me to reconsider. It was flattering, but I remained sure of my decision,” Shea said in an email Monday. “But then, as of Friday at 4:30, no one had filed a petition to fill the two-year unfilled KSD111 School board term.
“After discussion with some trusted community members, I have decided to submit a petition for that position,” Shea said. “With (Superintendent) Dr. Genevra Walters, our district is making great progress. There are still, and will always be, more challenges ahead. I believe strongly in the vision that she has, and by keeping my voice on the board, I hope to see her vision come to fruition.”
Here are candidates running in other Kankakee County school districts (all positions four-year, unless otherwise noted):
• Bourbonnais Elementary (three positions): Michael Jurka Sr., Jamie Freedlund, Jayne Raef, Kelly Dunnill, Nicole McCarty. No one filed for two-year position.
• Bradley-Bourbonnais High (four positions): Hollice Clark III, John Steinberg, Michael O’Gorman, Justin Caldwell, Todd Kuntz, Jennifer Edmonds
• Bradley Elementary (four positions): Terrie Golwitzer, Tim Johnson, Daniel Wilder
• Grant Park (three positions): Christine Horn, David Dickson, Jerry Loitz
• Herscher (three positions): David Emling, Sally Sullivan, Jason Hastings, Jacqueline Rieck
• Manteno (four positions): Gale Dodge, Mark Stauffenberg, Monica Wilhelm, Matthew Jackson, Mary Schubert
• Momence (three positions): Michael Berns
• Pembroke Elementary (four positions): Cleatie Butler, Ira Sneed, Eurelius Ross, Latasha Zarate, Brianna Nicole Willard, Mulumbua Bey, Robert Chapman
• St. Anne Elementary (three positions): Christopher Tolly, Gilberto Miramontes, Bobbie Emerson, David Pomaranski
• St. Anne High (three positions): Bill Jennings, Andrew Goodrich, Kurt Moranz, Dale Emerson. No one filed for two-year position.
• St. George Elementary (three positions: David Munstermann, Paula Dykstra