Fire destroys popular community eatery
ROYALTON, Vt. (AP) — Fire has destroyed a popular restaurant and maple sugar house in the Vermont town of Royalton.
Eaton’s Sugar House burned on Thursday night in what Vermont State Police say was a suspicious fire. Police say someone had ignited the front steps of the building with gasoline earlier in the evening. A passer-by had put out the flames before firefighters arrived. Then firefighters were called to a second fire later that night in the back of the building.
Vermont State Police say the building is a total loss.
The maple sugar house opened in 1963 and a restaurant was added later.
A $5,000 reward was being offered for information leading to arrest.