ADVERTISEMENT
Related topics

Nebraska Man Dies After Eating Poisonous Plant

August 5, 1985 GMT

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) _ A 25-year-old man died after eating poisonous water hemlock in Yellowstone National Park, park officials said Monday.

Keith Marsh, 25, of Norfolk, Neb., was camping with two friends in the Heart Lake, and they mistook water hemlock for edible Yampa root, park spokesman Gregg Kroll said.

Marsh went into convulsions, lost consciousness and died Sunday morning, despite efforts to revive him at Lake Hospital, Kroll said.

Kroll said one of the friends also ate a little bit of the hemlock but stopped when he felt sick.

Water hemlock is a perennial plant of the parsley family that has intensely poisonous, tuberous roots.