7th Mass Grave Found in Northeast Bosnia
SNAGOVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) _ Forensic experts said Friday they found a new mass grave in northeastern Bosnia believed to contain the remains of more than 100 victims of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre where Serb forces buried some of the almost 8,000 victims.
The grave in Snagovo village, about 30 miles north of Srebrenica, was found after experts received a tip-off from an undisclosed source, said Murat Hurtic, head of Bosnia’s Missing Persons Commission.
It is the seventh mass grave Hurtic’s team has found near Srebrenica, the scene of Europe’s worst massacre since World War II.
``So far we have exhumed 19 whole bodies and 4 incomplete bodies,″ said Alma Dzaferovic, district attorney in charge of genocide crimes. ``We have found blindfolds, wires, wallets of the victims of Srebrenica massacre from 1995.″
Local and international experts have been digging for years in Snagovo, finding so-called ``secondary″ mass graves in the area just outside of the city of Zvornik on the border with Serbia.
Such graves contain bodies originally buried elsewhere, but later moved to the ``secondary″ location in an effort to cover up the crime. The remains are often only partial, as those involved in reburying them often used bulldozers to bring them up from the first grave.
Bosnian Serbs overran the Muslim enclave of Srebrenica near the end of the 1992-95 war, which the United Nations had declared a safe zone, and killed as many as 8,000 Muslim men and boys.
Thousands of Srebrenica victims have been exhumed from over 60 mass graves around the ill-fated town, with more than 2,500 of them identified by DNA analysis.
The Srebrenica massacre prompted the U.N. war crimes court in The Hague to bring genocide charges against several suspects. Two main suspects, Bosnian Serb wartime leader Radovan Karadzic and his army chief Ratko Mladic, remain at large.