Related topics

Two Killed, Five Injured in Neighborhood Shooting

December 10, 1991 GMT

GASTONIA, N.C. (AP) _ A loner who neighbors said regularly cursed at the children in his community was charged Monday with killing a 12-year-old girl and her father and wounding at least five other people in a morning-long siege.

David Clayton Lynch, 31, surrendered and was ordered held without bond in Gaston County Jail. A hearing was set for Tuesday.

In Lynch’s neat ranch house police found weapons in place at several windows and cases of ammunition. ″He’s got more guns than we had out here,″ Capt. Archie Huffstetler said.

Sporadic gunfire into the neighborhood of mostly single-family homes prevented rescuers from reaching some victims for several hours.

Anita Kiser, who lives across the street, said Lynch had a history of cursing, throwing rocks and ″generally terrorizing″ neighborhood children. ″He has never been a friendly neighbor,″ she told the Shelby Star during the ordeal. ″He is ugly to everyone.″

Lynch surrendered around midday, more than four hours after the siege began, said Ken Beach, assistant Gaston County police chief.

He was charged with first-degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, assaulting police and shooting into an empty vehicle.

Police said a minor traffic citation was their only record of Lynch.

Neighbors said India Anderson was shot to death while waiting for her school bus Monday morning in her yard across the street from Lynch. Her father, Bobby, was shot minutes later. Rescuers couldn’t get to either one until Lynch gave himself up.

The wounded included the girl’s mother, a father and son living next door to Lynch and two police officers.

″He’d been hollering at the kids and threatening to spit on them,″ said Donna Overman, 18, who lives in the area. Vivian Whitlock, whose back yard abuts the gunman’s property, said her granddaughter had just boarded the school bus when she heard gunfire. Ms. Whitlock said she fled by car with her 4-year-old grandson.

″I didn’t know what to do. I was scared to death,″ she said.

Before the standoff ended, the gunman fired four shots, apparently aiming at two helicopters circling overhead. Police were in one chopper, a television crew was in the other.