Montana child rape suspect says he can’t be tried
BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — The attorney for a 58-year-old Montana man has told the U.S. Supreme Court that its earlier rulings prevent him from being tried in a 1987 child rape case.
The Billings Gazette reports that Ronald Dwight Tipton was previously charged with raping an 8-year-old in her home more than 30 years ago, but the charges were ordered dismissed by the Montana Supreme Court.
Attorney General Tim Fox has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to intervene by revisiting an earlier ruling that he says prevents the state from bringing sex offenders to justice in cold cases.
But in a response filed Wednesday, Tipton’s attorney, Michael Kimberly, said the high court shouldn’t intervene in the case and noted that its earlier ruling has only hindered states in a “sliver-thin range of cases.”
Information from: The Billings Gazette, http://www.billingsgazette.com