Grand Jury Declines to Investigate Marilyn Monroe Death
LOS ANGELES (AP) _ The county grand jury has rejected a request for another investigation into the death of Marilyn Monroe.
″A letter was sent today to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors stating that the 1985-86 Los Angeles County grand jury will not pursue the Marilyn Monroe case any further,″ according to a statement Thursday from foreman Charles Richardson.
The panel’s criminal justice committee had reviewed whether to reopen the inquiry, and after several weeks recommended against further investigation. The grand jury adopted that recommendation Monday, the statement said.
Miss Monroe was found dead in her Brentwood home Aug. 5, 1962. The coroner’s office determined the actress died from an overdose of barbiturates in what it called a probable suicide.
Last month, the supervisors asked District Attorney Ira Reiner and the grand jury to review a letter they received from Robert Slatzer, a Los Angeles writer who claims he was married briefly to Miss Monroe.
Slatzer, who has long maintained Miss Monroe was murdered, said there was new evidence to be considered.
In a letter to the supervisors earlier this month, Reiner said he had thoroughly examined the facts in the case and found no evidence to support allegations that Miss Monroe was killed.
The district attorney’s office reviewed the case in 1982 to determine if a criminal investigation was warranted and concluded it wasn’t.