AP NEWS
ADVERTISEMENT

Visitor fees going up at Haleakala National Park on Maui

December 6, 2019 GMT

WAILUKU, Hawaii (AP) — Visitor entrance fees at Haleakala National Park on Maui will increase on New Year’s Day the National Park Service announced.

Park officials said the rate increase will begin Jan. 1, The Maui News reported.

A $5 increase will raise the entrance fee to $30 per vehicle and $25 per motorcycles, officials said.

There will also be a $3 increase for bicycle riders and pedestrians to $15 per person, officials said.

The cost of a Tri-Park Pass will increase from $50 to $55. The annual pass allows visitors unlimited entry to the state’s fee-collecting parks including Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Haleakala National Park and Puuhonua o Hanaunau National Historical Park.

ADVERTISEMENT

Haleakala receives more than a million visitors each year and its fees are increasing along with those at other U.S. national parks to conduct infrastructure improvements, the park service said.

Haleakala is one of 117 National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee, while at least 300 other national parks have free admission, officials said.

About 80% of fees collected at Haleakala are used fund its operations. The remaining 20% is shared with national parks that do not collect fees, officials said.

The price will remain $80 for an annual America the Beautiful National Parks & Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass and a Lifetime Senior Pass for those 62 years old and older, officials said.