Kuwait ready to cooperate with Philippines after worker ban

April 30, 2018 GMT
1 of 2
FILE - In this Saturday, April 28, 2018, file photo, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte addresses the Filipino community in Singapore. Duterte said Sunday, April 29, 2018 that a ban on Filipino workers from heading to Kuwait that's been in effect since February would now be permanent, inflaming a dispute sparked by complaints of the abuse of Filipina housemaids and workers in the Gulf country. Kuwait on Wednesday expelled the Philippine ambassador and recalled its own envoy from Manila over the dispute. (AP Photo/Yong Teck Lim, File)
1 of 2
FILE - In this Saturday, April 28, 2018, file photo, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte addresses the Filipino community in Singapore. Duterte said Sunday, April 29, 2018 that a ban on Filipino workers from heading to Kuwait that's been in effect since February would now be permanent, inflaming a dispute sparked by complaints of the abuse of Filipina housemaids and workers in the Gulf country. Kuwait on Wednesday expelled the Philippine ambassador and recalled its own envoy from Manila over the dispute. (AP Photo/Yong Teck Lim, File)

KUWAIT CITY (AP) — Kuwait says it stands ready to cooperate with the Philippines to address labor issues facing Filipino workers, but would also “act decisively” against attempts to breach its sovereignty.

Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled al-Jarallah’s comments came in response to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s announcement that Filipino workers would be permanently banned from heading to Kuwait. More than 260,000 Filipinos work in Kuwait.

Al-Jarallah’s comments Sunday were carried by the state-run Kuwait News Agency.

Kuwait last week expelled the Philippine ambassador and recalled its envoy from Manila over a dispute sparked by complaints of the abuse of Filipina housemaids and workers.