Garbage company files $1.6M lawsuit against city of Jackson

July 16, 2022 GMT

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A $1.6 million lawsuit is the latest development in the ongoing garbage contract dispute in Jackson, Mississippi.

WAPT-TV reported on Friday that Richard’s Disposal filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi on Wednesday and is seeking more than $1.6 million in restitution. The New Orleans-based company has been collecting trash in Jackson since April 1 but has yet to be paid because the Jackson City Council said the company does not have an approved contract.

Earlier this week a judge ruled that the mayor of Mississippi’s capital city did not have the power veto a contract that the city council had not approved. Judge Larry Roberts issued his ruling Friday in a dispute among Jackson officials over who will be paid to collect garbage, news outlets reported.

“There’s nothing there to veto. The council didn’t pass affirmatively the matter. It rejected it,” said Roberts, a retired Mississippi Court of Appeals judge who was appointed to hear the case in Hinds County Chancery Court.

The Jackson City Council sued after Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba issued an emergency order to award a garbage collection contract to a Richard’s Disposal.

The council had voted multiple times against giving the contract to the company.