AP NEWS
ADVERTISEMENT

Summer camp carbon monoxide leak sends 53 to hospitals

July 16, 2021 GMT

STAMFORD, N.Y. (AP) — Dozens of young people sent to local hospitals after a carbon monoxide leak at an upstate New York summer camp were doing well Friday, camp operators said.

Fifty-three people were taken to hospitals Thursday after what authorities believe was a leaky gas pipe sickened them at The Zone Boys Campus, an all-boys Jewish summer camp near the northwest edge of the Catskill Mountains.

Multiple people, ranging in age from teens to early 20s, were reported unconscious at the camp, Steve Hood, director of Delaware County Emergency Services, told the Daily Star of Oneonta.

An initial investigation found the carbon monoxide originated from a propane hot water heater vented into the attic of a bunkhouse.

ADVERTISEMENT

The camp is run by New Jersey-based Oorah, a nonprofit organization that helps Jewish families.

“We are immensely thankful that all those who were hospitalized for monitoring were discharged yesterday and are doing fine,” camp office manager Tova Bracha Kohanghadosh wrote in an email Friday.

She said the leak was confined to one building and the rest of camp was up and running as usual Thursday.