Man faces second trial in killings of Colorado Springs teens
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — A man accused of being one of two people who shot and killed two Colorado Springs teenagers execution-style in 2017 will be tried again after a jury failed to agree on whether he was guilty of murder.
A jury on Monday convicted Marco Garcia-Bravo of one count of being an accessory to murder in the killings of 16-year-old Natalie Cano-Partida and 15-year-old Derek Greer but acquitted him on other charges, including first-degree murder and kidnapping, because of the objections of one juror, The Gazette reported.
After 10 days of deliberations, the holdout juror told the court that she had come to feel “held hostage” by the rest of the jury, whom she said pressured her to change her vote. She said there was a “zero-percent” change she would change her mind.
Fourth Judicial District Judge David A. Shakes ordered Garcia-Bravo to appear in court Thursday to schedule a new trial.
Cano-Partida and Greer were abducted from a party at gunpoint and driven to a road outside the nearby city of Fountain, where they were shot, authorities said.
They were targeted over suspicions that Cano-Partida had been helping a rival street gang, investigators said, adding that Greer was killed to eliminate a witness.