Official: No sign of data compromise after security incident
BALTIMORE (AP) — There’s no evidence that any data was compromised after a “network security incident” that prompted Maryland’s health department to take its website offline over the weekend, a department spokesman said Monday.
“As part of the ongoing investigation into the network security incident that occurred, the Maryland Department of Health’s servers will remain offline out of an abundance of caution” department spokesman Andy Owen said in an email. “Data updates will resume as soon as possible.”
Owen said the Maryland Security Operations Center is investigating a “network security incident” involving the health department, news outlets reported. State officials are working with federal and state law enforcement and “potentially affected employees and partners have been informed,” Owen said.
Owen declined to say whether the state’s coronavirus pandemic response is affected.
The Department of Health’s webpage was rerouted to the state’s flagship webpage, www.maryland.gov, as officials went through individual systems to determine whether any information had been stolen.