Day in History: Clinic performs first kidney transplant from cadaver
1992 – 25 years ago
• Pine Island standout Shiloh Oekers took first in discus and shot at the Pine Island Quadrangular track meet. The Pine Island girls team won the meet over Lourdes, Elgin-Millville and Triton.
• Steve Sviggum, IR-Kenyon, was elected House minority leaders by Independent-Republicans in their caucus after the Legislature’s adjournment. Sviggum has been a member of the House for 14 years.
1967 – 50 years ago
• Mayo Clinic surgeons have performed their first transplant of a kidney from a cadaver to a living patient. All previous kidney transplants here involved donor kidneys from living relatives.
• Total spring registration at Rochester State Junior College is 1,600 – up 6 percent over the same period a year ago.
• More than 400 delegates attended the three-day annual meeting of the North Central Area Council of YMCAs at the Kahler Center.
1942 – 75 years ago
• Officers of Fort Snelling and mayors of Rochester and the Twin Cities gathered to honor the mother of Lieutenant Willibald Bianchi, the Bataan hero who won the Congressional Medal of Honor, one of four soldiers thus far to gain the nation’s highest award. Attending the ceremony from Rochester in addition to Mayor Paul Grassle was Miss Jermayn Bianchi, student nurse at St. Marys Hospital School of Nursing, a sister of the hero. Mrs. Bianchi of New Ulm, the mother, received the citation for her son.
• Roy Hocking has opened a grocery store at 16 Tenth Street NW under the name of Roy’s Grocery. He is the brother of William Hocking of Hocking Food Market here.
1917 – 100 years ago
• The bill providing for a state park in the Whitewater Valley near Elba has passed both houses of the state legislature and received the governor’s signature.
• The personnel of the staff for the new Red Cross base hospital has been announced by Dr. Arthur Ayer Law, who is to be the director. Other personnel include Major E. Starr Judd, First Lieutenant Fred Rankin, Captain Robert Mussey and Assistant Director Major H. S. Plummer.
From news services
Ten years ago: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid offered a bleak assessment of Iraq, saying the war was “lost,” triggering an angry backlash by Republicans. A jury in Selmer, Tennessee, convicted Mary Winkler of voluntary manslaughter in the shooting death of her preacher-husband, Matthew. (Mary Winkler spent seven months in custody, with two months served in a mental facility.)
Five years ago: Republicans rammed an election-year, $46 billion tax cut for most of America’s employers through the House, ignoring a veto threat from President Barack Obama. (The measure went down to defeat in the Senate.) India announced the successful test launch of a new nuclear-capable missile. Levon Helm, drummer and singer for The Band, died in New York City at age 71. Greg Ham, a member of the Australian band Men at Work, was found dead in his Melbourne home; he was 58.
One year ago: Front-runners Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton swept to resounding victories in New York’s primary. Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro delivered a valedictory speech to the Communist Party that he put in power a half-century ago, telling party members he was nearing the end of his life and exhorting them to help his ideas survive. It was announced that Michael Strahan was moving from the daily talk show he co-hosted with Kelly Ripa to work full-time on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”
Today’s birthdays: Actress Elinor Donahue is 80. Rock musician Alan Price (The Animals) is 75. Actor Tim Curry is 71. Pop singer Mark “Flo” Volman (The Turtles; Flo and Eddie) is 70. Actor Tony Plana is 65. Former tennis player Sue Barker is 61. Motorsports Hall of Famer Al Unser Jr. is 55. Actor Tom Wood is 54. Recording executive Suge Knight is 52. Singer-songwriter Dar Williams is 50. Actress Ashley Judd is 49. Singer Bekka Bramlett is 49. Latin pop singer Luis Miguel is 47. Actress Jennifer Esposito is 45. Actress Jennifer Taylor is 45. Jazz singer Madeleine Peyroux is 43. Actor James Franco is 39. Actress Kate Hudson is 38. Actor Hayden Christensen is 36. Actress Catalina Sandino Moreno is 36. Actress-comedian Ali Wong (TV: “American Housewife”) is 35. Actress Kelen Coleman is 33. Actor Zack Conroy is 32. Roots rock musician Steve Johnson (Alabama Shakes) is 32. Actor Courtland Mead is 30. Tennis player Maria Sharapova is 30.