ADVERTISEMENT

GOP’s Petit says he’s not running for Esty’s Congressional seat

April 25, 2018 GMT

The Connecticut state representative and survivor of the 2007 Cheshire home invasion is indeed running for the November election, but it’s not what you think.

Republican William Petit announced Wednesday that he is running for re-election to represent the 22nd state House District, and not for the House of Representatives in Washington, D.C.

GOP leaders had urged Petit to run for the 5th Congressional District, covering greater Danbury and central and northwestern Connecticut, after Democratic incumbent Elizabeth Esty withdrew due to an office abuse scandal.

“I thought long and hard about running for Congress in the 5th District and all that would entail,” Petit said in a prepared statement. “But family considerations and my deep seeded commitment to the people I now serve won out.”

Petit was one of three high-profile candidates who were urged to run after Esty announced she would not seek a fourth term.

ADVERTISEMENT

The other two - Nicole Hockley and Mark Barden of Newtown-based Sandy Hook Promise - are making a decision between themselves whether one of them or neither of them will run as a Democrat.

So far, there’s been no word from them or from anyone close to them about when a decision will be announced.