Day in History: Fire Department responds to outhouse fire
1992 – 25 years ago
• The third quarter “A” honor roll students at Chosen Valley High School in grade 10 are Kari Rube, Amy Daniels and Laurene Soukup.
• Four more Rochester sports legends will be inducted into the Rochester Quarterbacks Club Sports Hall of Fame. The 1992 inductees will be Darrell “Shorty” Cochran, Dick Kimball, Marv Hanenberger and the late Walt Bruzek.
1967 – 50 years ago
• Tom Dickie, a Rochester John Marshall graduate, is the No. 2 man of Drake University’s golf team this spring.
• The official formation of Rochester’s fourth Catholic parish – to be known as the Church of the Resurrection – was announced by Most Rev. Edward Fitzgerald, bishop of the Winona Catholic Diocese.
1942 – 75 years ago
• 472 Minnesota police officers have competed two war-related security courses conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Rochester.
• George Dovenberg was re-elected chief of Preston Volunteer Fire Department for the 32nd consecutive term. Dovenberg, 72, will start his fifty-seventh year on the department.
• Two outstanding skaters, Heine Brock and Bobby Specht will appear at the annual Skate Parade Show in Rochester.
1917 – 100 years ago
• The trout season starts tomorrow. The fishing promises to be the best in years.
• All the buildings, laboratories and other equipment at the University of Minnesota will be placed at the disposal of the government. A U.S. Marine recruiting station will be opened at Folwell Hall on the U of M campus.
• The Rochester Fire Department responded to a fire located in an outhouse on property on Glencoe and College streets. It was a one hole/alarm fire.
From news services
Ten years ago: Riot police beat and detained protesters as thousands defied an official ban and attempted to stage a rally in Moscow against Russian President Vladimir Putin’s government. A car bomb exploded near one of Shiite Islam’s holiest shrines in Karbala, Iraq, killing 47 people. Entertainer Don Ho died in Honolulu at age 76.
Five years ago: In Belfast, Northern Ireland, where the RMS Titanic was built, thousands attended a choral requiem at the Anglican St. Anne’s Cathedral or a nationally televised concert at the city’s Waterfront Hall to mark the 100th anniversary of the ship’s sinking. Eleven Secret Service agents were placed on administrative leave as a deepening scandal involving prostitutes overshadowed President Barack Obama’s diplomatic mission to Latin America. Actor Jonathan Frid, best known for playing Barnabas Collins in the 1960s original vampire soap opera “Dark Shadows”, died in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada at age 87. Guns N’ Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Beastie Boys, folk icon Donovan, late singer-songwriter Laura Nyro and British bands the Small Faces and Faces were among those inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
One year ago: Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders aggressively challenged each other’s judgment to be president during a Democratic debate in Brooklyn, New York, sparring over Wall Street banks, how high to raise the minimum wage and gun control. The first of two strong earthquakes struck southern Japan; the temblors killed at least 50 people.
Today’s birthdays: Actor Bradford Dillman is 87. Country singer Loretta Lynn is 85. Actress Julie Christie is 77. Retired MLB All-Star Pete Rose is 76. Rock musician Ritchie Blackmore is 72. Actor John Shea is 68. Actor-turned-race car driver Brian Forster is 57. Actor Brad Garrett is 57. Actor Robert Carlyle is 56. Rock singer-musician John Bell (Widespread Panic) is 55. Actor Robert Clendenin is 53. Actress Catherine Dent is 52. Actor Lloyd Owen is 51. Baseball Hall of Famer Greg Maddux is 51. Rock musician Barrett Martin is 50. Actor Anthony Michael Hall is 49. Actor Adrien Brody is 44. Classical singer David Miller is 44. Rapper DaBrat is 43. Actor Antwon Tanner is 42. Actress Sarah Michelle Gellar is 40. Actor-producer Rob McElhenney is 40. Roots singer JD McPherson is 40. Rock singer Win Butler (Arcade Fire) is 37. Actress Claire Coffee is 37. Actor Christian Alexander is 27. Actor Nick Krause is 25. Actress Vivien Cardone is 24. Actor Graham Phillips is 24. Actress Skyler Samuels is 23. Actress Abigail Breslin is 21.