Related topics

Doctor Identified as Marcos’ Physician Found Dead After Abduction

November 2, 1985 GMT

MANILA, Philippines (AP) _ A kidney specialist identified by a newspaper as one of President Ferdinand E. Marcos’ doctors was found stabbed to death 16 hours after he was abducted from his home by armed men, police said today.

Police said the body of Dr. Potenciano Baccay, 45, bore stab wounds apparently inflicted by an ice pick in the chest and neck.

The Manila newspaper Pahayagang Malaya (Free Press) said Baccay was one of several kidney specialists who had been treating Marcos, long reported to be suffering from a degenerative kidney disease.


″We cannot tell you anything. We are not confirming or denying anything,″ said a man who answered the telephone at the presidential palace press office when asked for confirmation that Baccay was one of Marcos’ physicians.

Official palace spokesmen could not be contacted immediately for comment because of the weekend. Marcos, 68, said in a New York Times interview published Friday that he suffers no serious ailments.

Manila tabloids splashed pictures of the slain doctor on their front pages but only Pahayagang Malaya, an opposition daily, described Baccay, also vice president of the National Kidney Foundation of the Philippines, as one of Marcos’ physicians.

The official Philippine News Agency said Baccay’s abduction occurred around midnight Thursday as the physician, his wife and four children returned to their home in the Manila suburb of Muntinlupa and were surprised by five men inside.

According to an initial police investigation, as soon as the Baccays drove up the driveway in a car and a van, the armed men herded them and their two drivers into a bathroom where the family’s two housemaids and a security guard were already tied up.

After tying everyone up, the armed men ransacked the house and drove away in Baccay’s van, taking the doctor with them. The van was found abandoned on a street in the suburb of Makati Friday afternoon with Baccay’s body slumped on a back seat, police said.

Police have not announced any motive for the killing.