ADVERTISEMENT

Sled dog dies in northern New Hampshire kennel fire

January 24, 2022 GMT

JEFFERSON, N.H. (AP) — A wood stove that was too close to a wall likely caused a fire that killed a sled dog in a northern New Hampshire kennel, firefighters said.

Crews were called to the Muddy Paws Kennel in Jefferson early Monday and found a storage unit on fire.

Firefighters found two sled dogs inside. One survived the fire, but the other had taken in too much smoke and could not be revived, the fire department said.

No people were hurt in the fire.

The business owners, who hold year-round dog-sledding excursions, said on Facebook their warming room, which houses gear, dog records, retail items and dog supplies, caught fire.

“We are heartbroken, we are devastated, we are overwhelmed,” they said in a statement that also thanked people for their support. “But more importantly, we are strong and we are resilient.”