AP NEWS
ADVERTISEMENT
Related topics

Child dies from injuries sustained in Spokane house fire

January 9, 2021 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — A child who was critically injured in a Spokane house fire several days ago has died.

Four-year-old Michael Kane II suffered critical injuries from smoke inhalation during the early morning fire at his family’s home on Jan. 3, The Spokesman-Review reported.

The boy’s grandmother, Brenda Kane, said the child was recognized with an honor walk Thursday night at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center. The ceremony commemorates the act of organ donation, and an online fundraising page run by friends of the Kane family said recipients had been found for Michael’s heart and kidneys.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Spokane Fire Department said the fire, which started when items near a fireplace ignited, was accidental. Four other people were taken to a hospital with injuries believed not life-threatening, and a dog was killed. The home had smoke alarms that activated appropriately, according to the fire department.

“Our hearts break for the family and our community,” Spokane Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said.