AP NEWS
ADVERTISEMENT
Related topics

Unattended stove starts fire at Virginia fire station

December 22, 2020 GMT

CHESTERFIELD, Va. (AP) — Firefighters at a Virginia fire station apparently forgot one of their universal rules when they rushed to respond to a medical emergency.

A crew from the Courthouse Road Fire Station in Chesterfield County dashed off Monday night, forgetting that there was food cooking on the stove, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

An automatic fire suppression system extinguished the fire before it spread, and a chemical agent doused the flames on top of the stove, and a water sprinkler head activated just outside the area of the stove, Deputy Fire Marshal Joe Harvey said. The crew was returning to the fire station 30 minutes later when they learned of the fire. The ambulance stationed at the firehouse already was out on a call when the second call came in for the medical emergency, Harvey said.

He said the department has rules where if one person forgets to turn off the stove, a backup firefighter has the responsibility.

No injuries were reported and the fire station never went out of service, Harvey said.