Related topics

HS football: Aberdeen clobbers Wendell 62-0

September 2, 2017 GMT

ABERDEEN – It took 20 seconds before Aberdeen scored its first touchdown Friday against Wendell.

Then came another, a minute later. Before long, the Tigers led 35-0 at the end of the first quarter. The beatdown continued until the final minutes of Aberdeen’s 62-0 home win.

“We just go hard all the time, never let go of the gas pedal until the game’s over,” Aberdeen junior Hulizes Ortiz said.

The Tigers (2-0) could not be stopped. Even a group of mostly underclassmen came out with a touchdown in the final quarter of a game in which the Tigers scored on every drive.

Aberdeen sophomore Angel Lemos rushed right through the middle of Wendell’s defense on a fourth-and-13 for a 22-yard fourth-quarter TD to complete a successful day for Tigers ball carriers. Aberdeen tallied 231 yards rushing on 11 carries in the first half alone, good for 21 yards per carry.


Seniors Carson Beck and Dallon Elliott had 75-yard touchdown runs. Quarterback Matthew Klassen used Aberdeen’s only called pass play of the game on a 13-yard completion for a touchdown.

Ortiz was not limited to offensive touchdowns, scoring on a pick-six in addition to rushing touchdowns of 40 and 20 yards. The only other non-offensive touchdown was by Elliott, who scored on a kick return in the first seconds of the game.

While Aberdeen was flourishing, Wendell was flailing.

The Trojans (0-2) completed 0 of 6 passes in the first quarter. After allowing a touchdown on special teams to start the game, they let Aberdeen recover a fumble on the following kickoff because the Trojans return team let the ball sit at the 20 yard-line for several seconds. Wendell’s struggles are a continuation of last year when the Trojans allowed more points per game (61.2) than they scored in their entire winless season (47).

“We’re literally just starting from the ground up with football fundamentals,” said Trojans first-year coach Cody Howerton before adding his view on Aberdeen, “Not only are they a great program right now, they’ve got great kids, a great community and they have a program established.”

Head coaches from both teams agreed to speed up the game when Aberdeen scored its seventh touchdown with 5:04 left in the second quarter, using a running clock during point-after attempts and following penalties. After halftime, there was a running clock for the duration of the final two quarters.

Aberdeen has outscored its first two opponents 114-6 and travels next Friday to North Fremont, which has pulled off two wins over 3A teams. So far, Aberdeen coach Jeff Duffin likes what he sees from his team, saying, “We’re every bit as good as both of the teams we took to the state championship.”


“We executed well again tonight,” Duffin said. “We’ve got a few things every week that we’ve got to work on, but going to North Fremont next Friday night – it’s going to be a dog fight. It’s hard to win in Ashton, Idaho.”

[ View the story “VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS” on Storify ]