Carbon monoxide poisoning in Old Greenwich

GREENWICH — Police and firefighters rescued a man poisoned by carbon monoxide from his residence in Old Greenwich Saturday afternoon.

Emergency crews were dispatched to 51 Old Kings Highway on a report of an alarm and an unconscious male around 1 p.m. The fumes that sickened him may have been coming from a car in an attached garage nearby.

A Greenwich police officer, first on the scene, found the fumes over-powering but managed to open doors and windows at the residence.

“An officer went in twice, opened doors and windows to ventilate the place. A good job,” said police Lt. David Nemecek.

Firefighters equipped with oxygen masks pulled the man out of the residence. He was transported to Norwalk Hospital, which has a special unit for hyperbaric medicine and carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Police said that the carbon monoxide exposure appeared to be accidental, though an investigation was still ongoing.

No other residents were in the condo building at the time. The residential complex there has semi-attached units.

Deputy Fire Marshal Chris Pratico said an initial review indicated that a car engine was accidentally running in the garage.

“It’s under investigation. We believe it was the car exhaust,” he said.