Man convicted in shootings of 5 outside American Legion bar
EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) — A southwestern Indiana man accused of shooting five people outside an American Legion post last year has been convicted of several felony counts in that attack.
A Vanderburgh County jury found Keymo Johnson of Evansville guilty Tuesday of two counts each of aggravated battery and battery by means of a deadly weapon and one count each of attempted voluntary manslaughter and unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon.
Jurors also convicted Johnson, 38, of two counts of misdemeanor criminal mischief in the attack near downtown Evansville early on Oct. 6, 2019, the Evansville Courier & Press reported.
Prosecutors said Johnson was told to leave the American Legion post’s bar after he got into a fight with one of the later shooting victims. He was in the post’s parking lot when that person exited the bar with several others and Johnson allegedly drew a gun from his waistband and began firing.
Five people were wounded, with three of them suffering serious injuries. The two others had minor injuries and refused medical care.
Johnson’s sentencing is scheduled for Dec. 3.