Nevada governor asks precautions be followed amid holidays
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak has urged residents, tourists and other visitors to stay safe through the holidays to limit the spread of COVID-19.
The Democratic governor said on Wednesday that it is important to remain vigilant as the state continues to see a steady pace of coronavirus cases statewide.
“I ask you to consider the nurses, doctors, and first responders who will be working shifts on Christmas to keep us safe. The actions we take will impact them directly,” Sisolak said.
Sisolak encouraged residents to carry out gatherings with household members, and limit interactions to groups of no more than 10 people from two households. He also said people should continue wearing masks, social distancing and washing hands.
Nevada remains under statewide capacity restrictions for what health officials considered high-risk areas of transmission, including entertainment venues and bars to 25% capacity.
Meanwhile, the Southern Nevada State Veterans Home in Boulder City said Thursday that a 67-year-old man living at the facility died of COVID-19 this week. The U.S. Air Force veteran had been hospitalized for a month. It’s the fourth death of a resident. Both residents and staff are tested for the virus regularly, according to the Nevada Department of Veterans Services.
For most people, the new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough that clear up in two to three weeks. For some — especially older adults and people with existing health problems — it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, and death.