NYPD: Off-duty cop, terrorized by husband, leaps to safety

September 14, 2021 GMT

NEW YORK (AP) — An off-duty New York City police officer escaped out a second-floor window after her husband took what investigators believe to be her service weapon and shot at officers responding to a domestic violence call Tuesday morning at their home near Kennedy Airport, police said.

The off-duty officer likely broke her leg as a result of the two-story leap, NYPD Chief of Department Rodney Harrison said. Her husband was wounded once in the right arm as officers returned fire. His injuries were not considered to be life threatening. Both were hospitalized. No officers were wounded.

“Unfortunately, we respond to a host of different domestics throughout the city,” Harrison told reporters after the end of the standoff, about 90 minutes after it began, in Queens’ South Ozone Park neighborhood. “Very rarely do we get one where it’s one of our own.”

Police did not identify the couple by name. The NYPD’s force investigation unit is investigating.


The incident prompted Democratic mayoral candidate Eric Adams to cancel an event in a different part of Queens. A spokesperson for Adams, the Brooklyn borough president, said that he did so out of an abundance of caution because “it was a developing situation at that time.”

According to Harrison, officers arrived at the home around 8:40 a.m. in response to a 911 call for an off-duty officer in need of assistance. When the officers knocked on the front door, Harrison said, the husband answered and threatened to shoot them.

Responding officers backed off and called in the specially trained emergency service unit, Harrison said. As those officers were attempting to start a conversation with the husband, he started shooting at them, Harrison said.

The off-duty officer then jumped out the second-floor window to escape, leading her husband to fire several shots in her direction and that of the emergency service officers outside, Harrison said. Officers returned fire and the husband retreated back inside the window, Harrison said.

During the standoff, the husband’s brother went to the home and helped hostage negotiators convince him to surrender. Police did not identify that man, but said he had no connection to law enforcement.

Detective Brenda Reddick, who led the negotiations, told reporters afterward: “Although there was someone that did get shot, no one lost their life and that’s what’s most important.”