AP NEWS
ADVERTISEMENT

1st of 8 men charged in gang rape of minor gets 12 years

July 16, 2021 GMT

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A Rhode Island man has been sentenced to 12 years in prison for his involvement in the 2019 gang rape of an incapacitated 16-year-old girl, Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced Thursday.

Carlos Chacon, 20, pleaded no contest to one count of sexual assault, one count of conspiracy to commit sexual assault and one count of possession of child pornography, Neronha said in a press release.

Providence police previously reported that a group of men lured the girl to a house, gave her alcohol and marijuana and sexually assaulted her. A video of the act that was posted to Facebook helped authorities track down the suspects.

Chacon and seven others were indicted in November 2020. Criminal cases against Chacon’s seven co-defendants are pending in Providence County Superior Court, the attorney general said.

Superior Court Justice Maureen B. Keough sentenced Chacon to 20 years with 12 years to serve and the balance suspended with probation. He must also register as a sex offender among other conditions.