Shooter sentenced to prison for rampage that injured 2
NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (AP) — A man who went on a shooting rampage in New Bedford around Halloween in 2018 has been sentenced to serve 15 to 20 years in state prison, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas Quinn III said Monday.
Joshua Perry, 28, pleaded guilty on June 28 to a range of assault and weapons charges including armed assault with intent to murder, five counts of assault with a dangerous weapon and five counts of unlawful possession of a large capacity firearm, prosecutors said.
“The defendant’s conduct is difficult to comprehend but can only be described as outrageous and extremely violent,” Quinn said in a statement. “He clearly is a menace to society and needs to be kept off the street for a very long time to protect the public.”
The Fall River Superior Court case involved four separate shootings in New Bedford on October 28, 2018.
Police say Perry had been outside his sister’s apartment when he suddenly fired off more than a dozen rounds into her neighbor’s apartment, where a couple with three young children lived.
He then shot at a couple driving in their car and then later at two young men walking in the street. Perry was eventually arrested when he fired off several rounds outside his friend’s apartment.
Prosecutors says no one was injured in the first two shootings but the two men shot multiple times on the street in the third attack suffered serious injuries.