Related topics

Person in custody after second Henderson shooting in 24 hours

March 22, 2018 GMT

A person was in custody Wednesday night following the second shooting to be reported in Henderson in 24 hours.

Mayor Eddie Ellington said a person was shot at about 7:30 p.m. on Young Avenue and walked up to the post office on Belle Street.

Ellington said no fatalities were reported in the incident, but the victim’s condition was unknown.

The incident comes on the heels of a request from Ellington to Gov. Roy Cooper for additional resources from the state to help stem the deadly tide of violence that has gripped the city.

Police on Tuesday night were called to a home in the 400 block of Merriman Street, where they found two victims who had been shot while they were in a car.

Darrion Richardson, 23, was rushed for medical treatment to a local hospital, where he died, police said in a written statement. The second victim was being treated for their injuries, but police did not identify that person or provide any information about their condition.


On March 15, two people were killed and a third was wounded during a shooting at a home at 227 Harrell Street. In that incident, Tyheem Shabazz Person, 27, and Dyrel Jermal Kittrell, 28, were fatally shot during a dispute, and Devonte Jamal Jones, 21, was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment. He died a few days later at a local hospital.

The week before that, Emmanuel Hargrove, 31, was shot and killed on Parham Road. On Saturday, an unidentified 14-year-old was found shot to death on Pinkston Street.

In all of the cases, authorities said only one arrest has been made. Ellington said he hopes state officers will help with the situation.

“We were asking for reinforcement, task force and whatever we can to help our officers because we’re really short-staffed right now,” he said. “We are 13 officers down, out of 59 and they got over 30,000 calls last year and it’s hard to be proactive when you’re receiving all of these calls. It really puts a strain.”