Germany defender Niklas Süle to leave Bayern Munich for free
MUNICH (AP) — Germany defender Niklas Süle is leaving Bayern Munich at the end of the season.
Bayern chairman Oliver Kahn said Wednesday that the 26-year-old Süle is not extending his current contract.
“It took a long time and we made him an offer. He didn’t accept that offer,” Kahn said.
Süle switched to Bayern from Hoffenheim in 2017 for around 20 million euros ($22.5 million) and has since made 158 appearances across all competitions for the Bavarian powerhouse. He won four Bundesliga titles, two German Cup titles and the 2020 Champions League with Bayern, though he missed much of the triple-winning season with a cruciate ligament injury.
Kicker magazine reported that Bayern’s latest five-year offer to the player was performance-based and reflected caution over his two serious knee injuries.
Süle previously made 117 appearances over 7½ years for Hoffenheim.
Bayern is looking for alternatives, though Kahn also referred to squad members Lucas Hernández or Benjamin Pavard, who can play in the center.
“There are many possibilities, but of course Bayern must consider players who someone leaves us,” Kahn said.
Chelsea defenders Antonio Rüdiger and Andreas Christensen have been linked with the Bavarian club. Both players’ contracts are also up at the end of the season meaning Bayern or any other club would not need to pay a transfer fee to Chelsea for either.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports