ADVERTISEMENT
Related topics

Dumont football to forfeit to Hoboken, citing safety concerns due to injuries, low participation numbers

October 19, 2016 GMT

Citing safety concerns due to a dearth of available players following a rash of injuries, Dumont will forfeit its game Saturday against Hoboken. The Huskies began the season with just 25 players, but that number has dwindled to 15 because of injuries, athletic director Michael Oppido said in a text message to The Record. Seven of those 10 injured players are out for the season. “Unfortunately you never want to have forfeits in high school sports, but at the same time, it has become a safety issue for our student-athletes,” Oppido said. The Huskies (1-4) will have three games remaining against Snyder, Pascack Hills and Tenafly. This isn’t the first time low numbers have been an issue for Dumont, which attempted to leave the Big North and move to the NJIC last year. The NJSIAA ultimately denied the school’s appeal. That meant Dumont became part of the North Jersey Super Football Conference, playing in the American Gold division with Westwood, Mahwah, Ramsey and Pascack Hills. Oppido said he addressed the football team’s low numbers with conference president Joe Piro before the season began. The Huskies had 14 varsity players returning from last season’s team, and 25 in total. “Now with 10 of those 25 student-athletes out with injuries, we cannot compete in this week’s game [against] Hoboken,” Oppido said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bergen Tech also forfeited its game against Ridgewood last week citing safety concerns due to injuries. At this point, Oppido said, safety comes first. “[At] the end of the day, high school sports are about student-athletes enjoying the sport they love to play day-in and day-out,” Oppido said. “But more importantly, the safety of the student-athletes is the number one concern.” Email: iseman@northjersey.com