Man charged with Provo murder pleads not guilty, sets trial for July

January 25, 2018 GMT

A man charged with aggravated murder, in relation to a botched robbery in Provo that left one man dead, pleaded not guilty to all charges Wednesday in Fourth District Court.

Jesse Gourdin, 22, was charged with capital murder for reportedly shooting and killing 24-year-old Gustavo Ramirez in March.

When Gourdin appeared Wednesday before Judge Thomas Low, he pleaded not guilty to all counts, which, in addition to capital murder, include one count of aggravated murder, two charges of aggravated robbery and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, all first-degree felonies. He is also charged with two counts of retaliation against a witness, victim or informant, a third-degree felony.


Low also set dates for a three-week trial for Gourdin, with jury selection beginning June 25 and the trial scheduled to end July 13.

Though four people were charged for the events that led to Ramirez’s death, only Gourdin faces capital murder charges and will go to trial.

Jerry Hawley, who reportedly drove the getaway vehicle, took a plea deal in July and was later sentenced to a year at the Utah County Jail. Maria Hernandez, who reportedly remained in the vehicle with Hawley while the shooting took place, was sentenced to spend at least five years prison in December.

Brayden Marshall was sentenced to up to life in prison in January after pleading guilty to one charge of aggravated burglary and one charge of manslaughter.

According to the probable cause statement, Hernandez had told Marshall and Gourdin that a house at 71 N. 400 West in Provo had a metal box in the bedroom full of cash. Hawley drove them to the house, the probable cause statement says, where Marshall and Gourdin tried to kick in the front door. When unsuccessful, the two ran to the back of the house and forced open the back door.

Several shots were fired before Marshall, followed by Gourdin, came back to the truck, the probable cause statement says.

Ramirez was driven to Utah Valley Hospital by others who were present at the house where the shooting took place, but was later pronounced dead at the hospital, according to the probable cause statement.