Cheyenne Frontier Days to continue under safety protocols
CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — The outdoor rodeo Cheyenne Frontier Days will continue as planned this year after being forced to cancel last year during the coronavirus pandemic.
Republican Gov. Mark Gordon and Cheyenne Mayor Patrick Collins joined Cheyenne Frontier Days CEO Tom Hirsig on Wednesday during a news conference to make the official announcement, the Wyoming Tribune Eagle reported.
Frontier Days is a rodeo and western festival in July that draws about 200,000 attendees each year. Its website calls it the world’s largest outdoor rodeo which features competing professionals, behind-the-chutes tours, trick riding, a wild-horse race and other activities.
Hirsig said the event will take place at maximum capacity and without a mask requirement, but will feature a new health and safety protocol focusing on increased sanitization, digital ticketing, cashless payment options and a clear bag policy. The measures are subject to change based on COVID-19 infection rates.
Guests are encouraged to cover their mouths and noses when coughing or sneezing with sleeves or tissues followed by immediate hand washing. People feeling sick or showing symptoms are urged to remain home.
“The main focus is cleaning and sanitizing high-traffic areas and cleaning those constantly as people come in and out,” Hirsig said, adding that volunteers looked at ways to keep everyone safe without limiting the size of crowds. The General Committee finalized the plan and presented to health officials, who later approved it.
“If there’s a strain that becomes dangerous and we have to social distance and mask, we’re ready. We’ve talked through those scenarios,” Hirsig said.
The full lineup is expected to be announced Thursday, but Thomas Rhett, Eric Church and Blake Shelton remain on the schedule. Tickets for the concerts and all other events go on sale next week.