Day in History: Owatonna man named ‘National Teacher of the Year’
1992 – 25 years ago
• The Rochester sales tax, which will fund a city hall, library and fire station, will become law. It was passed and awaits the signature of Gov. Arne Carlson.
• Rochester’s James McPeak got the Rochester Golf and Country Club season off to a rousing start with a hole-in-one on the 170-yard, par-three third hole. McPeak aced the hole using a 7-wood.
1967 – 50 years ago
• The Rochester Fire Department received approval to buy a new pumper truck that can deliver 1,250 gallons of water on a fire per minute. The accepted bid for the truck is $29,494.
• Harry Bergh, veteran Kenyon druggist, received a cake from the Kenyon Commercial Club in recognition of his 50 years in the pharmaceutical business in Kenyon.
• Roger Tenney, a St. Olaf graduate, now of Owatonna will be presented with the “National Teacher of the Year” award by President Johnson. Tenney is a music teacher and chairman of the music department at Owatonna Junior-Senior High School.
1942 – 75 years ago
• Several criminal defendants paid fines on gambling devices in Fillmore County District Court. Fines ranged from $150 to $50.
• Miss Betty Lou Knerr has been chosen as editor of the Elgin High School annual. Miss Ruby Fred is faculty adviser for the annual.
• Sheriff Victor Wubbels today announced the appointment of Clarence Reishus of Rushford as deputy sheriff of Fillmore County.
1917 – 100 years ago
• The Rochester school board of education is considering the recommendation of State Superintendent of Schools, C.G. Schulz, regarding the granting of special credit to high school boys for farm work. The recommendation is that high school boys in good standing in their studies, be given credit for the entire year’s work providing they sign an agreement to spend the time until next fall on farms working as farm hands. School authorities will keep a check on their work.
From news services
Ten years ago: The family of Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho, who shot and killed 32 people and himself, told the Associated Press they felt “hopeless, helpless and lost,” and “never could have envisioned that he was capable of so much violence.” A disgruntled worker, William Phillips, shot and killed NASA employee David Beverly at the Johnson Space Center in Houston before barricading himself with a hostage and then killing himself. (The second hostage escaped with minor injuries.)
Five years ago: A judge ruled that George Zimmerman could be released on $150,000 bail while he awaited trial on a charge of murdering 17-year-old Trayvon Martin during a Feb. 2012 confrontation in a Sanford, Florida gated community. (Zimmerman was acquitted.) In Pakistan, a Bhoja Air Boeing 737-200 crashed while on approach to the main airport in Islamabad, killing all 127 people on board.
One year ago: Five former New Orleans police officers pleaded guilty to lesser charges in the deadly shootings on the Danziger Bridge in the days following Hurricane Katrina in 2005. ESPN fired former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling as a baseball analyst after comments he’d made on Facebook that were critical of transgender rights. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew announced that Harriet Tubman, an African-American abolitionist born into slavery, would be the new face on the $20 bill, replacing President Andrew Jackson. Pro wrestler Chyna (Joan Marie Laurer) was found dead in her Redondo Beach, Calif., apartment; she was 46.
Today’s birthdays: Retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens is 97. Actor Leslie Phillips is 93. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., is 81. Actor George Takei is 80. Singer Johnny Tillotson is 79. Actor Ryan O’Neal is 76. Bluegrass singer-musician Doyle Lawson (Quicksilver) is 73. Actress Judith O’Dea (Film: “Night of the Living Dead”) is 72. Rock musician Craig Frost (Grand Funk; Bob Seger’s Silver Bullet Band) is 69. Actor Gregory Itzin is 69. Actress Jessica Lange is 68. Actress Veronica Cartwright is 68. Actor Clint Howard is 58. Actor Crispin Glover is 53. Actor Andy Serkis is 53. Olympic silver medal figure skater Rosalynn Sumners is 53. Actor William deVry is 49. Country singer Wade Hayes is 48. Actor Shemar Moore is 47. Actress Carmen Electra is 45. Reggae singer Stephen Marley is 45. Rock musician Marty Crandall is 42. Actor Joey Lawrence is 41. Country musician Clay Cook (Zac Brown Band) is 39. Actor Clayne Crawford is 39. Actor Tim Jo is 33.