Trenton man charged with stabbing woman multiple times at North Augusta motel

February 27, 2019 GMT

A Trenton man was charged Saturday following an incident at a North Augusta motel where a 47-year-old woman was stabbed multiple times with a knife.

Travis Mendale Jennings, 38, of Trucker Drive, is charged with attempted murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime, according to jail records.

Aiken County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded around 3 a.m. Saturday to the Royal Inn on Jefferson Davis Highway in reference to reports of a woman screaming in one of the rooms, according to the report.

Deputies reported going to room 135, knocking and hearing a female scream for help. They forced the door open to find Jennings and a woman lying in the bed, both covered in blood, police reported.


The victim was yelling, claiming Jennings stabbed and cut his own throat.

Jennings was placed into police custody and EMS was called to the scene. Jennings had cuts across his throat, which appeared to be superficial, while the victim had been stabbed multiple times.

The victim had three stab wounds across her abdomen, one in her back, one to her left shoulder and one in the center of her chest, the report states.

She also had lacerations to both wrists, her right inner elbow and she claimed to have a broken arm. She was taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for her injuries.

Investigators reported they were finally able to question the victim, and she said she was sleeping when she was suddenly woken up by Jennings stabbing her. She claimed she and Jennings had lived together for five years, but he had recently started working a new job

The victim believes he was angry with his job, telling her they were both going to die that night after he woke up by stabbing her, police reported.

Investigators also spoke with Jennings, who claimed “something came over him” and he lost control. He also claimed he did not remember what happened during the incident.

Jennings was arrested Saturday morning and taken to the Aiken County detention center, where he was still being held Monday afternoon.