Israel uncovers another Hezbollah tunnel dug from Lebanon
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli forces said Saturday they uncovered another Hezbollah tunnel dug from Lebanon, an announcement that came shortly after troops fired at suspected members of the Lebanese militant group who approached the site of Israeli army engineering working to thwart tunnels.
The find makes this at least the second cross-border tunnel discovered since Israel began an operation this week to detect and “neutralize” attack passageways dug by the Iranian-backed group into northern Israel.
Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus, an Israeli army spokesman, told reporters the new tunnel runs into Israel but “does not pose an imminent threat to Israeli communities.”
He said explosives were placed in the tunnel to prevent infiltration into Israel, adding that Israel holds the Lebanese government responsible “for the activities and all Hezbollah violations.”
Earlier on Saturday, the Israeli military fired at three Hezbollah suspects who approached the border where the army was working.
Conricus said Israeli troops crossed the fence into Lebanon but did not exceed the U.N.-established demarcation line. He says Israeli forces also installed technological sensors to control a tunnel.
According to Conricus, Hezbollah activists made use of bad weather in an attempt “to probably take the sensors” but fled after Israeli forces opened fire at them.
Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called Russian President Vladimir Putin to discuss Israel’s intention to “foil the tunnels’ threat,” according to a statement from Netanyahu’s office.
Netanyahu vowed to continue efforts “to prevent the establishment of an Iranian presence in Syria and to act against Iranian and Hezbollah aggression,” the statement added.
It also said that Netanyahu and Putin agreed that mutual security teams will meet to discuss the threats and Israel’s “Operation Northern Shield,” as the operation to eradicate the tunnels is called.