Related topics

Smoke detectors alerted Kalispell couple of house fire

February 27, 2019 GMT

A Kalispell couple is safe after smoke detectors woke them up and alerted them to a fire, according to South Kalispell Fire Department Chief Chris Yerkes.

The fire department responded to structure fire at 2:07 a.m. Tuesday at 2494 Airport Road in Kalispell. Yerkes said the fire initially started in the chimney.

“When we got there the house was burning pretty good in the living room and attic,” Yerkes said.

Smith Valley, Somers and West Valley fire departments assisted in extinguishing the fire.

“We were on scene for about four hours. We had it pretty well under control within an hour and a half. A lot of the time was spent mopping up,” Yerkes said.


Damages are estimated to be around $75,000.

“The stuff in the living room was in pretty bad shape. Everything in the rest of the house is pretty salvageable,” he said. “Fortunately, early on, we were able to get interior doors closed, which kept a lot of the heat and heavier smoke out.”

No injuries were reported.

Reporter Hilary Matheson may be reached at 758-4431 or hmatheson@dailyinterlake.com.