One injured in Beatrice apartment fire
A Beatrice apartment building is unlivable following a fire in the basement Tuesday morning.
The fire occurred shortly after 10 a.m. Tuesday in an apartment building near Eighth and Lincoln streets in Beatrice.
Beatrice Fire and Rescue Chief Brian Daake said the fire began in the basement on the north side of the complex, and there were reports of windows popping prior to firefighters arriving.
He said one man was transported to Beatrice Community Hospital and Health Center for unknown injuries following the fire.
There were reports of a second resident who couldn’t be found, prompting firefighters to make a second sweep of the building to make sure nobody was still inside. No others were found during the search.
Smoke from basement fires can pose a challenge to firefighters, since the smoke takes the path of least resistance upward, essentially transforming a stairway into a chimney.
Daake declined to speculate on a cause of the fire at the scene and said it will likely be a while before anybody can live in the building, which has six units, as a result of the fire.