Resurfacing work set to start for Rochester streets
City crews are starting planned resurfacing projects in Rochester this week.
Thirteen locations have been identified for “mill-and-overlay” operations scheduled to take place starting Wednesday and extending into mid-June, according to Public Works.
The milling process, which kicks things off, removes approximately 2 inches of asphalt, which is later replaced by a new surface. Paving is set to start as early as next week in some areas.
Between the milling and overlay steps, bumps will be found at each end of the project areas, along with exposed manhole castings and gate valve risers. Residents, bicyclists and pedestrians are being encouraged to find alternate routes.
Affected streets will be posted with yellow “no parking” signs prior to the start of maintenance operations. All parking is prohibited in the posted work zone on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. All violators are expected to be ticketed and towed, according to Public Works.
Parking restrictions in areas with yellow signs are for daytime maintenance activities only; parking is allowed on weekends and after hours in posted areas.
The mill-and-overlay projects, which cover a combined 11.9 miles, are:
• A portion of 57th Street Northwest, along with Stapleton Lane Northwest, Lancaster Place Northwest and Stoneham Lane Northwest.
• A portion of 51st Street Northwest, along with Lehman Lane Northwest, Palmer Place Northwest, Birdie Lane Northwest and Par Lane Northwest.
• Portions of 24th, 25th and 26th streets in Northwest Rochester, along with connected sections of 28th and 29th avenues.
• 21st Avenue Northwest from 19th Street to Valleyhigh Drive.
• Streets and avenues in a portion of Northwest Rochester bounded by Assisi Drive to the west, 14th Street to the north, Fifth Avenue to the east and Seventh Street to the south.
• Third Street Northwest between Broadway and First Avenue.
• Two blocks of Seventh, Eighth, Ninth and 10th avenues south of 14th Street Northeast, along with connected portions of Ninth, 9 ½ and 10th streets. The section also includes 19th Avenue Northwest, between Ninth Street and the cul de sac to the north.
• Westview Lane Northwest and Westridge Lane Northwest, south of Zumbro Drive.
• Cassidy Drive Northeast, from Viola Road to Darcy Drive.
• Apache Drive Southwest, from 12th Street to 16th Street, along with Apache Lane Southwest and Apache Court Southwest,
• A portion of 20th Street Southwest, stretching west of Broadway.
• Several streets and cul de sacs off of 11th Avenue Southwest, including Leslie Lane, Southern Hills Lane, Ashley Lane and Willow Lane.
• A portion of South Pointe Drive Southwest, east of 11th Avenue, along with Scenario Lane Southwest, Pebble Lane Southwest and a portion of South Pointe Court Southwest.
Maps showing the locations and order of completion for the projects are available on the Public Works website at www.rochestermn.gov/home/showdocument?id=23773.