Alaska extends deadline for earthquake recovery funds
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The state is extending the deadline by 30 days for residents to apply for recovery funds following the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that shook south-central Alaska.
Gov. Mike Dunleavy announced Monday that residents can apply for the state individual assistance program for quake relief until Feb. 28, the Anchorage Daily News reported .
Nearly 11,500 people have applied so far for the program following the Nov. 30 earthquake, said Jeremy Zidek, spokesman for the state Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.
The program will pay up to $17,400 for damage to homes, personal property or transportation, or if people have medical or dental needs linked to the quake.
“We have been receiving a steady number of applications in the last two weeks,” Zidek said. “We want to make sure that everyone that does need an opportunity to apply gets that opportunity.”
The quake that struck 7 miles (11 kilometers) north of Anchorage damaged roads, houses and schools, leaving some people unable to return to structurally compromised homes.
Most of the applicants have been from Anchorage, followed by the Matanuska-Susitna Borough and to a lesser degree the Kenai Peninsula, Zidek said. More than 1,200 Anchorage properties damaged were still waiting for city inspections earlier this month.
The state has also provided shelter for more than 250 people, Zidek said.
The state is encouraging anyone with “critical needs” damage to apply, Zidek said.
Applicants will be asked to provide a description of damages, photographs or videos, as well as insurance information and ownership documents for transportation and property, officials said.
Information from: Anchorage Daily News, http://www.adn.com