Moussaoui Yanks Request to Testify
%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:; AUDIO:%)
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) _ Zacarias Moussaoui has suspended his request to testify before a federal grand jury probing the Sept. 11 attacks until a federal judge agrees to allow his testimony in public and on television.
Moussaoui, the only person under indictment in the attacks, offered last week to appear before a grand jury and Congress to outline his claim that the FBI had him and the 19 hijackers under surveillance prior to Sept. 11 and therefore knows he had nothing to do with the attacks.
Neither the government nor U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema objected to that request. But when the government notified Moussaoui that U.S. marshals would not be permitted in the grand jury room while he testified, he objected to the private session.
``Taking account of the current effort of the FBI and prosecution to prevent the American and the world to know about the FBI cover up and surveillance operation on Sept. 11, Leonie Brinkema must order the public and televised grand jury testimony of Zacarias Moussaoui,″ he wrote.
In a separate motion unsealed Tuesday, Moussaoui asked for copies of the visa application of Ramzi bin al-Shibh and the Western Union money transfer document that the government contends bin al-Shibh, using the alias Ahad Sabet, used to wire Moussaoui money in August 2001.
Moussaoui said a handwriting analysis would ``expose their biggest lie in their prosecution″ because Sabet and bin al-Shibh are different people. The alleged money transfer is a key part of the government’s attempts to link Moussaoui to a terrorist cell in Germany that included three of the hijacker leaders.
Prosecutors said they have already provided Moussaoui with the documents and have no objection to the handwriting analysis.