Related topics

Cigarette leads to Delaware apartment fire, hospitalizing 2

November 29, 2018

BEAR, Del. (AP) — Authorities say a single cigarette led to the fire that engulfed a Delaware apartment complex, sending two to the hospital and displacing 15.

Delaware Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio tells The News Journal that a lit cigarette landed on landscaping near the side of a Rockwood Apartments building on Wednesday night. The fire spread from a burning bush to the apartment’s three floors and attic.

Christiana Fire Company Assistant Chief Jack McPartland says seven residents received medical treatment, with two hospitalized. Their conditions are unclear.

Chionchio says the fire damage is estimated at $150,000, with a total of six affected units.


Information from: The News Journal of Wilmington, Del., http://www.delawareonline.com

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.