Child Rapist’s Lewdness Trial Delayed
By Lisa Kashinsky
WOBURN — The trial of convicted child rapist Wayne Chapman, who faces lewdness charges after allegedly exposing himself in front of nurses at MCI-Shirley state prison last year, has been delayed, officials said.
Chapman appeared in Middlesex Superior Court for a pretrial hearing Thursday, where prosecutors asked for the trial to be delayed because a witness has a medical issue.
Chapman is now scheduled for a pretrial conference July 18, with his trial set for July 30, according to the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office. His bail remains at $25,000.
Chapman has been held on civil commitment since the state deemed him too dangerous to release after his prison sentence for raping two boys in Lawrence expired. But two independent experts reviewed Chapman last year and said he was no longer a danger, and the Supreme Judicial Court ruled last week that the state could not hold Chapman indefinitely.
Gov. Charlie Baker refiled a bill that would require a trial if experts disagreed over whether a person remained sexually dangerous.