Two Families Displaced by Christmas Day Fire
NASHUA -- A fire that broke out Christmas Day on West Hollis Street left a pair of families without a home for an unknown period of time, authorities say.
No injuries were reported following the blaze that started inside the basement of the two-and-a-half-story apartment building about 4:30 p.m., according to a Nashua Fire Department press release.
Two occupants who resided in the structure’s first floor apartment exited the building at 163 W. Hollis St. prior to the arrival of emergency crews, the release states.
Firefighters attacked the blaze in the basement, while others conducted a search of the building for additional occupants. No other occupants were found, according to the release.
Firefighters brought the blaze under control within 20 minutes of being dispatched to the scene. The fire was contained to the basement, which had to initially be accessed by a spiral staircase. The spiral staircase made it difficult for firefighters to access and run their hose lines, the release states. A bulkhead was cut by a power saw to provide a second access point for firefighters.
The American Medical Response ambulance service responded to the scene and housed the first-floor occupants until family arrived to assist them. The second-floor occupants were not home at the time of the fire, the release states.
All utilities inside the structure were disconnected due to the damage and to prevent additional water damage from frozen pipes, the release states. Both families will be displaced for an unknown amount of time.
Follow Aaron Curtis on Twitter @aselahcurtis