Outdoors notices for March 17, 2018
• In the Allegheny Valley Rifle League on March 9, Butler (14-4) defeated Murrysville (9-9), 1,170-1,160, and Fort Hand (5-13) won 1,167-1,166 over Clymer (8-10) in the A-team standings. In the B-team division, Butler (13-5) won 1,156-1,087 over Murrysville (3.5-14.5), and Clymer (16-2) won 1,152-1,095 over Fort Hand (3.5-14.5). Murrysville’s Ray Harvey, Fort Hand’s Matt Summerhill and Butler’s Bob Doverspike Sr. each shot 293 as the high individual shooters. Doverspike was the high senior, and Clymer’s Sophia Whiteman was the high junior and female at 288.
• In the Pittsburgh and Suburban Rifle League on March 7, Frazier-Simplex (13-1) locked up the league championship by defeating Dormont-Mt. Lebanon (11-2), 1,480-1,476; Green Valley (3-10) beat Allegheny (6-7), 1,462-1,446; and Irwin Post 228 (5-9) defeated Murrysville (2-11), 1,380-1,170. Frazier-Simplex’s Jim Mounts and Cyril Walther and Dormont-Mt. Lebanon’s Dean Trew all shot 298 for the week’s high individual score. Frazier-Simplex’s Cailey Dahlquist and Murrysville’s Katie Frye were the high juniors and ladies with a 294. Mounts was the high senior.
HUNTER SAFETY COURSES
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Carrick Sportsmen’s Club, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 24. Class limit 40.
• Indian Creek Valley Sportsmen’s Association, Fayette County, 8 a..m.-1 p.m. March 24. Class limit 50.
• Marion Center Park Hall, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. March 24. Class limit 45.
• Rostraver Sportsmen’s, Westmoreland County, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. March 24. Class limit 35.
• Willmore Sportsmens Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. March 24. Class limit 35.
• Emeigh Sportsmens Club, Cambria County, noon-7 p.m. March 25. Class limit 30.
• Burnt Ridge Bow & Gun Club, Armstrong County, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. March 31. Class limit 50.
• Fairhope Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. March 31. Class limit 50.
• Bear Rock Sportsmen’s Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. April 7. Class limit 50.
• Millvale Sportsmen’s Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. April 7. Class limit 99.
• Montgomery Township Rod and Gun Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. April 7. Class limit 50.
• White Oak Rod & Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 7. Class limit 50.
• Collier Sportsmen’s Association, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. April 8. Class limit 50.
• Blue Goose Sportsman Club, Cambria County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 14. Class limit 75.
• Big Knob Grange, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 21. Class limit 40.
• Youngwood Sportsmen’s Association, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 21. Class limit 50.
• Murrysville Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. April 22. Class limit 55.
• Coraopolis District Sportsmen’s Association, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. April 29. Class limit 100.
HUNTER/TRAPPER EDUCATION COURSES
Note: All hunter/trapper education courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Parker City VFD/Community Center, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. March 24.
• Evans City Sportsman Club, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. March 24.
• North Butler County Hunting & Fishing Club, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. March 31.
• Happy Hunters Sportsman’s Club, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. April 7.
SHOOTS ON TAP
• The Twi Night Trap League will start competition March 22 with Hecla Sportsmen’s hosting the first shoot of the season. Hecla will be the host club this year. Signups start at 5 p.m. Cutoff is 8 p.m. The league runs for 25 weeks and rotates among five clubs — Hecla, East Huntingdon, Connellsville, Ruffsdale and Youngwood.
• California Hill Gun Club holds sporting clays and five-stand shoots Sundays from 9 a.m.-noon. All are open to the public. Call 724-938-3480.
• Sporting clays is closed for the winter at West Penn Sportsmen’s Club, but five stand is open Thursdays from 5-8 p.m. and from 10 a.m.-noon on Sundays. Cost is $5 for 25 targets for members. Nonmembers are $6 per round.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen’s Club is open at 6:30 p.m. Fridays, with trap shooting at 7 p.m. Food and beverages are available for purchase. Visit esc15360.com.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association has big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shaner Sportsmen’s Club, 146 Stewart Lane, Irwin, has trap practice from 5-8 p.m. Fridays. It is open to the public. Call 724-872-8431 or the clubhouse at 724-446-1313.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen’s Club, 505 Mosside Boulevard, North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club has CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for children ages 12-16 and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen’s Association has trap practice at 6 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also has an indoor archery league with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club’s indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Summer Twi-night League begins March 22 at Hecla Club and March 29 at East Huntingdon.
• Millvale Sportsman’s Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, has trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sundays, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. Call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club has trap shooting at 5 p.m. Mondays. The public is welcome.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman’s Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public starting at 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sundays. Call 724-652-1075.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen’s Club in Kittanning has open trap nights at 6 p.m. Fridays. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events.
• Sutersville Sportsmen’s Club has trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen’s Club has trap and skeet practice from 5-8 p.m. Tuesdays. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen’s Club in Yatesboro has trap practice at 6 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla’s trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift has an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot the second Saturday of every month. The club also has an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Roscoe Sportsmen’s Association’s youth trap league shoots are 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 on Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen’s Association has five-stand sporting clays shoots from 4 p.m. until dark Wednesdays at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen’s Association has trap shoots 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen’s Club has 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6. Both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• McDonald Sportsmen’s Association has trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen’s Club has skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5-10 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice are 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.
• Rochester Sportsmen Club will hold shoots April 22, May 27, June 24, July 22, Aug. 26 and Sept. 23. Visit rochestersportsmen.com for more information.